- There shall be an Entrance Test for all candidates desiring to pursue the Ph.D. degree from the Dept. of Music, University of Delhi.
- All candidates who have completed their M.Phil.degree from the University of Delhi, or any other University recognized by the UGC, shall be eligible to appear for the Test.
- M.Phil.is desirable as in a discipline like Music, aptitude for research is achieved.
- All the candidates, who have done their Masters but not M.Phil. in Hindustani or Karnatak music from an Indian University, and desirous of pursuing Ph.D. in Music from the University of Delhi, are required to clear this Entrance Test, and thereafter, compulsorily complete a Course Work in Research Methodology for a duration of one semester.
- Candidates with 50 % marks in M.Phil. (including dissertation) are required to appear for the Entrance Test, but will be exempted from the Course Work.
- Candidates with 60 % marks in Part – I of M.Phil. are eligible to appear forthe Entrance Test without completing their M.Phil. degree. Such candidates, upon clearing the test, will be exempted from the Course Work.
- Candidates who have cleared the UGC-NET with JRF, are exempted from appearing in the Test.
- Candidates who are the recipients of any Fellowship from Central/State govt./organizations, are exempted from appearance from the Entrance Test.
- Candidates who have cleared the UGC-NET with Eligibility for Lectureship /Assistant Professorship, but without securing JRF, are required to appear for the Entrance Test.
- University/ College teachers on permanent basis will be exempted from Entrance Test and Course Work, if they have 5 years’ teaching experience, along with the permission (NOC) of their authorities for Ph.D. admission.
- Foreign nationals who have degree in Graduation, Masters& M.Phil. in Hindustani Music and Karnatak Musicfrom an Indian university, are required to appear for the Entrance Test.
- Foreign nationals, who have the relevant degrees from a University/Universities outside of India, equivalent to those of the Indian degrees mentioned above, will not be required to appear for the Entrance Test, but they have to complete a compulsory Course Work in Research Methodology.
- Foreign nationals who are teachers, with a degree in Musicfrom aUniversity/Universities outside of India, and with 5 years’ of teaching experience, shall be exempted from Entrance test as well as the Course Work.
- Foreign nationals with 60 % in M.Phil.or equivalent degree in Hindustani Music/ Karanatak Music, are required to appear for the Entrance Test, butwill be exempted from the course work.
- Minimum Pass percentage for the Entrance test shall be 60%.
- The Entrance test question paper shall be set and evaluated by the external examiners.
* Note: Applicants Are Required To Refer To Ordinance Vi-B Of The University Of Delhi Regarding Other Eligibility Criteria And Modalities Of The Ph.D.Course.