- All candidates who have completed their M.Phil. degree from the University of Delhi, or any other University recognized by the UGC.
- M.Phil.is desirable as in a discipline like Music, aptitude for research is achieved.
- All the candidates, who have done their Masters but not M.Phil. in Hindustani, Percussion Music or Karnatak music from an Indian University.
- Candidates with 55 % marks in M.Phil. (including dissertation).
- Candidates with 55 % marks in Part – I of M.Phil. are eligible to appear for the Entrance Test without completing their M.Phil. degree.
- Foreign nationals who have degree in Graduation, Masters (at least 55% marks) & M.Phil. (at least 55% marks) in Hindustani Music (Vocal/Instrumental/Percussion) or Karnatak Music (Vocal/Instrumental/Percussion) from an Indian University.
- Foreign nationals, who have the relevant degrees from a University/Universities outside of India, equivalent to those of the Indian degrees mentioned above, will not be required to appear for the Entrance Test, but they have to complete a compulsory Course Work in Research Methodology.
- Foreign nationals, who are teachers, with a degree in Music from a University/Universities outside of India, and with 5 years’ of teaching experience, shall be exempted from Entrance test as well as the Course Work.
* Note: Applicants Are Required To Refer To Ordinance Vi-B Of The University Of Delhi Regarding Other Eligibility Criteria And Modalities Of The Ph.D.Course.