Bachelor Degree with Honours in
The following minimum qualifications are required:
Candidates seeking admission to the Bachelor degree with Honours in Hindustani Music- Vocal/ Instrumental (Sitar/Sarod/Guitar/Violin/Santoor) or Karnatak Music – Vocal/ Instrumental (Veena/ Violin) or Percussion Music(Tabla/Pakhawaj) course must have passed any one of the following examinations with 45% or more marks in the aggregate with Music as one of the subjects:
Senior School Certificate Examination (12-year Course) of the Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi.
Indian School Certificate Examination (12-year Course) of the Council for Indian School Certificate Examination, New Delhi
Any other examination recognized as equivalent to the Senior School Certificate Examination (12- year Course) of the Central Board of Secondary Education. New Delhi
Pre-University Examination (2-year Course) of an Indian University/board recognized by the University of Delhi.
Note: The candidate must have an aggregate of 45% marks in best of four subjects in the qualifying examination including Music.
2. Candidates who have not opted Music as one of the subjects in any of the aforementioned last qualifying Examinations (12th class) and desirous of seeking admission to B.A. (Hons.) in any stream of Hindustani Music or Karnatak Music, must have a minimum aggregate of 45% marks apart from either of the following qualifications –
Such candidates will be required to submit a certificate issued by the institution/Guru, as the case may be, to this effect. Such certificates must be on the proper letterhead of the institution/Guru mentioning all the relevant details, such as name, address, contact no., email id and professional qualifications.
Certificates issued on a plain paper will not be accepted under any circumstances.
3. The list of institutions for grant of recognition in connection with the eligibility clause for admission to B.A. (Hons.) in Hindustani Music – Vocal / Instrumental / Percussion are:
List of institutions for grant of recognition in connection with the eligibility clause for admission to Bachelor Degree with Honours in Karnatak Music/Sangeet Shiromani Diploma Course in Karnatak Music are:
Selection procedure/Admission process:
The following will be the procedure for selection, and admission thereafter –
- All the eligible candidates (decided after the screening of their degrees, mark sheets, certificates and other documents) will have to compulsorily appear for a Practical Entrance Test (audition) at the Department of Music, University of Delhi only, as per the schedule of admissions announced beforehand. A merit list will be prepared on the basis of the performance of the candidates at the Entrance Test, details of which will be notified on the Notice Board of the Department. Thereafter, admissions will be done in the order of merit, subject to the availability of seats.
- Admissions for reserved categories (SC, ST, OBC etc.) in any stream of Hindustani or Karnatak music, will be strictly done based on the relevant provisions and guidelines of the University of Delhi in force at the time of the Entrance Tests and Admissions.
- Admissions for foreign nationals will be done as per the guidelines of the University of Delhi in force at the time of the Admissions. It is, however, essential, that the candidate must send his/her video performance in a CD/DVD along with the application form.
Note: Admissions will be made strictly on the basis of merit of the performance in the Practical Entrance Test and the candidate’s aptitude in the concerned subject.
General Instructions regarding the Practical Entrance Test:
- All candidates must bring their original documents (degrees, marksheets etc.) for verification, failing which, they will be denied entry inside the Department campus.
- The Department of Music will provide instruments to the candidates for the audition. Candidates of Hindustani Vocal and Karnatak Vocal music must not bring their Tanpura along, as the same will be provided by the Department.
- The candidates appearing in the instrumental/percussion category, may bring their own instruments, even though the Department will provide them. The candidates will be responsible for the safety of their own instruments. The Department cannot be held responsible for the loss/damage to the candidate’s own instrument.
- The Department will provide Tabla, Mridangam and Sarangi accompaniment for all the candidates of Hindustani Vocal/Instrumental music, Karnatak music and Hindustani Percussion music respectively. Under no circumstances will outside accompanists be allowed to enter the Department campus.
- Only the candidates will be allowed to enter the Department campus. Parents, relatives and friends will be strictly denied entry inside. However, Differently-abled candidates (VH only) may be accompanied inside by only one person.
- Each candidate will be given a maximum of 5-7 minutes to perform. For more details, the candidate must refer to the Syllabus for the Practical Entrance Test in the websitesmentioned below.
- Candidates appearing for the Practical Entrance Tests in Hindustani vocal music or Karnatak vocal music, will have to give their Practical Entrance Test with only the Tanpura and Tabla as accompanying instruments. Under no circumstance will Harmonium be allowed as an accompanying instrument during the Auditions.
- Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification from the Practical Entrance Test.
- University of Delhi – www.du.ac.in
- Department of Music, University of Delhi – www.music.du.ac.in.
NOTE: In view of situations created by Covid-19, applicants are advised to monitor the University website – www.du.ac.in for updates regarding Practical Admission Entrance Test procedures and/or schedule as the case may be.
|CATEGORY/ COURSE||B.A. (Hons.) HINDUSTANI MUSIC||B.A. (Hons.) KARNATAK MUSIC||B.A. (Hons.) PERCUSSION MUSIC||Total|
|OBC (27%)||19^ + 4* = 23||5^ + 1* =6||7^ + 3* = 10||31^+ 8*=39|
|SC (15%)||12^ + 2* = 14||2^ + 1* = 3||3^ + 1* = 4||17^+ 4*=21|
|ST (7.5%)||6^ + 0* = 6||1^+ 1* = 2||2^ + 1* = 3||9^+ 2*=11|
Total seats: 143 [114 seats (as of 2018-19) + 29 seats (25% of 114, further intake under EWS)]
- * Denotes seats as per 2018-19
- * Denotes seats added under EWS
- The seats across all the streams of Hindustani music, Karnatak music, Percussion Music are inter-changeable. The seats are however, not interchangeable across the various categories.
- Seats for UR, OBC, SC, ST and EWS may change subject to the relevant guidelines of the University of Delhi in force at the time of the Entrance Tests and Admissions
- Supernumerary seats for Differently-abled persons (Persons with Disabilities or PwD), Children/Widows of the eligible Armed Forces Personnel, and other such categories, will be as per the relevant guidelines of the University of Delhi in force at the time of the Entrance Tests and Admissions
B.A. (Hons.) Hindustani Music
- B.A. (Hons.) Hindustani Music
- Old CBSC Syllabus of B.A. (Hons.) Hindustani Music (Vocal/ Instrumental)
3 Years Under Graduate Course
B.A. (Hons.) Karnatak Music
- B.A. (Hons.) Karnatak Music C.B.C.S Course
- Old CBSC B.A. syllabus of B.A. (Hons.) Karnatak Music (Vocal/ Instrumental)
3 Years Under Graduate Course
B.A. (Hons.) Percussion Music
- B.A. (Hons.) Percussion Music C.B.C.S Course
- Old CBSC B.A. Syllabus of B.A. (Hons.) Percussion Music (Tabla/ Pakhawaj)
3 Years Under Graduate Course
- SEC for B.A.(H) Music Tabla Pakhawaj Course in Hindustani Percussion Music
- SEC for B.A.(H) Music Mridangam Course Karnatak Music Percussion
- SEC for B.A. (H) Music Veena Violin Course Karnatak Music
- SEC for B.A. (H) Music Thumri Dadra Course in Hindustani Music
- SEC for B.A. (H) Music Harmonium Course in Hindustani Music Instrumentall
- SEC for B.A. (H) Music Maintenance & Repairing of Musical Instrument Course in Hindustani Music